Many of them will say the economy is bad, and might even shame you to want more money.
But guess what, they don’t pay your bills.
They don’t have as big dreams as yours.
Let’s get past that one obstacle first. If you are adding value in business, you deserve to be earning more. Period.
Here’s a negotiation lesson I learnt from Ramit Sethi on how you can get 10 to 20% (or whatever figure you want to have) hike in your salary in the next 3 to 6 months.
Let Me Brief the Whole Process for You
You go to your manager/boss and ask them,
“What would a super performer in my job position look like? What kind of results they would be delivering?”
You write down what they answer, word to word.
And then you go back and do the work, as they mentioned, word to word.
You follow up with them after a few weeks and ask them about your performance.
If you’d be working as they thought a super performer would work, they would definitely be happy with your performance.
This is the time you talk to them.
Tell your boss, “Hey boss, if I deliver XYZ results by this quarter-end, do you think we can bring up my official performance review? Based on the improved results, can we talk about a salary hike, by the end of this quarter?”
You do the necessary work and then get back to your boss. Ask them for a raise.
Show them how you are now a lot more worth than what they are paying you at the moment.
That’s the time, they will be open to making more investment in you.
It’s a Simple Process, but What Would Be the Issues When You Practice It?
- You will feel underconfident approaching your manager/boss in the first place.
- You will feel impatient. Suddenly the 3 to 6 month period would seem long for you.
- You will feel insecure. What if they fire me? What if things go wrong?
- You will doubt yourself. What if I can’t do this? What if I am not worthy enough to get paid so much?
How to Get Past These Issues?
- Work on your emotions. Align them with your goals. Have them support your actions.
- Resolve your past issues. If there’s any past trauma involved, let it go.
- Be confident. Believe that you deserve this salary hike. Trust that you are worthy enough.
- Get comfortable with money. Making more money isn’t bad, even if it’s a pandemic. Salary hike will mean you have started adding more value to your company’s business.
- Get rid of all the reasons you aren’t working to your full potential.
What Would This Mean for You?
Let’s say you are earning INR 50,000/month right now. With a 20% salary hike, you’ll start earning INR 60,000/month.
- In 1 year, you will earn INR 1,20,000 more (unless you get another hike, right?)
- Better respect from your manager/boss
- Increased productivity in work
- A lot better market value. Imagine switching your job at INR 50,000 monthly salary v/s INR 60,000 salary
- Super strong Self-esteem and confidence (because you actually worked hard and did it)
Where Can You Start This Whole Process?
- Work on your mindset first.
- Get better at confidence. Because if you don’t communicate all this to your boss, it won’t matter.
- Look deep inside of you. Resolve all the fears and issues. Get past procrastination, and do the work.
- DO THE DAMN WORK.
Here’s How I Can Help You
Join me in my 1-on-1 coaching where you and I will work on these points, to get you past the fears, issues, procrastination, to develop self-esteem and finally get to a better position and salary, in the workplace.
My coaching sessions are an investment of at least five figures INR, but when you see what you will start making in a few months, as an extra INR 1,20,000/yr in the above example, my coaching program is a big sale offer.
Drop me a message, and let’s get you started 🙂